Friday, May 7, 2010

texting

It's been a relatively peaceful week. Hurrah! This I like. It seemed like a good time to do a "Greatest Hits of the Past Six Months"  --- with respect to catcalling, of course. 

Usually, the first thing I do after being catcalled, is curse. A lot. To myself. And then, I send a text message. Oh, technology. These are the texts that keep me sane. They allow me to feel connected to someone during those experiences of anger, fear, isolation, and loss of control. 

I fire off these messages to friends as an instant way of documenting the bullshit, however funny or disturbing. Sometimes, I can laugh it off. Other times, I can't, and I need the friendship and support of the ones who will listen. 

Recreated (from memory) are some of the best texts I've sent in the past six months, post-catcall. I am posting them here mostly because it is a quick way to exorcise myself of some of the most ridiculous and upsetting experiences I've had over the past six months. 


This man just touched my hair and then asked if it was real cause he's allergic to weave.


This man grabbed my arm and when I yanked my arm away and told him not to touch me, he cursed me out and yelled at me and would not stop cursing at me until I was down the block. Some other people on the street tried to calm him down. 


I went to the bodega for tortilla chips and a man followed me out of the store and across the street and would not leave me alone until I turned around to talk to him. I said my name was Nancy.


Got catcalled six times while doing laundry --- twice on the way to the laundromat, twice while my clothes were in the wash, and twice on the walk back. Can a girl wash her clothes in peace?

A man on the corner said he wanted to rape me.

What do you do after being catcalled? Do you tell friends and loved ones about it, or do you refrain because you fear their response? What sorts of texts have you sent about wack, patriarchal encounters with strangers/ friends/ relatives/ coworkers?

4 comments:

  1. I do just what you do, though not through texting but calling or telling someone afterwards in some way. What I really fantasize about doing though is coming back to find that man with a bike pack of 12 women to regulate...
    More practically, I've heard of a strategy which identifies and therefore shames the person. Part of their power comes from their faith and protection in anonymity, to behave publicly without publicity. There's a site where women take pictures of their harasser with their phones and post them up. Immediately the person becomes embarrassed and then scared that you will report them to the police for public indecency or harassment.
    It takes guts to do that and you have to further engage the person but...might just be worth the try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found that website! LIVE IT DO IT.

    http://hollabacknyc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok its a worldwide movement that apparently I just wasn't in on yet: http://www.stopstreetharassment.com/ending/campaigns.htm

    This reminds me of "Take Back the Night" back at Yale no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I text too and/or talk about it with a friend. It's frustration and upsetting so it needs to be talked about. Those texts are a fantastic record of your feelings and the scary situations harassers put you in. I'd love to see more of those. Well, I'd actually love to see none of those but you know what I mean... they could make for a very interesting book, social record, etc.

    ReplyDelete