Tuesday, May 11, 2010

catcalled on a monday (maybe)

I am sort of amazed that last week passed without any sketchy encounters that left me with the killing rage and terrible shrinking feeling that often accompany catcalling. Chalk it up to irony. I start this blog and somehow the universe knows, fears patriarchy smashing, and relents...

If only that were how the world worked!

Yesterday, I went to the gym. When I finished my work out, I felt great. Endorphins, sweat, cleared sinuses, the whole deal. As I got dressed to leave the gym, I made sure to put on my sweatshirt inside out. The name and logo of my college are printed on the back of my sweatshirt, and it has been used in the past by catcallers to name me and catch my attention. I may have looked funny wearing my sweatshirt inside out, but these are the sort of things I have learned to do to avoid attention. Hood up, hair up, head down, walk fast. 

Usually, my walks home from the gym are quite pleasant. I enjoy the sunlight and the breeze as I walk by kids getting out from school, older men and women sitting on their stoops. 

When I turned onto my block, I saw 4 or 5 men standing in front of my house. I started cursing to myself and praying, preparing for a confrontation. This is my gut reaction to groups of men, irrespective of age. I steady myself, I brace for myself, for whatever it is they are about to say.

As I approached, they began to speak all at once and I could not distinguish what they were saying. I heard one man apologize for blocking the entrance to my house. "It's all right," I said, as I walked up the stairs. This same man said, "Hunh?" as if he did not understand so I turned around and repeated, "It's all right." 

And then came the transition. Oh, the transition. The shift into the realm of the catcall. What begins as an innocent, "Good morning," or "Hello," that you reciprocate and acknowledge because you like strangers/ neighbors/ people, quickly devolves into: "Where are you going? Can I come? You got a boyfriend? Why do you look so mad? Smile for me, sweetie."

Their voices became a drone of questions I could not pick anything out of. I did not know if they were being friendly or rude. One man asked, "Were you at the gym?" I did not want to talk. I wanted to get in my house, shower, and leave in time for an appointment with my mentee. So I did not answer. Got in my house, locked the door, momentarily felt guilty for being rude.

This is one of my biggest problems with catcalling --- I am usually doing something (walking, talking on the phone, grocery shopping, reading, thinking, existing) when someone interrupts. Someone disrupts whatever I am doing with the expectation that I will engage. I will be interested, I will listen, I will be polite, no matter how much my own goals, autonomy, or self-respect seem to be compromised by the exchange. I am happy to listen to others and to be kind, so long as I do not feel coerced. In much of catcalling, the catcaller presumes to be in charge and the catcallee is expected to listen, laugh, and consent on cue. A degraded, gendered, power dynamic. 

Upstairs in my apartment, I called my mother and told her about the men in front of my house. I confessed I was now scared to be alone in the apartment, scared to take off my clothes and shower, scared to leave while they were standing outside. 

"Maybe they're just talking, Naima. They're just standing and talking the way people do." 

In the shower, I thought about what my mother had said. She was right. They were just talking. I wondered, How did I get to this point? How did I become terrified of men talking on the street?

The answer is clear. Since I was a teen, and perhaps before, much of my experience of public space has been marked by harassment. Between the harassment and all the other ways patriarchy is manifest in life and society, I've got plenty of reasons.

Still, it troubles me that I am so often afraid of the men in my neighborhood. I brace myself before passing groups of men who look like me, my father, my brother, young people I love and work alongside. This reality makes me equal parts sad and enraged. I am usually right in my apprehension --- I have found, over the years, there ain't much I can do without someone attempting to objectify or intimidate me. Can't sit on my stoop, go to the gym, or buy rice without someone (usually a man, usually of color) having something to say to me about my appearance, my gender, my desire, my race.

When I finally left my house to mentor, the men were farther along the block near the corner. Two little girls played near them on the street. The men could have been their fathers, their uncles. As I walked by, the man who had done most of the talking before said, "Take care."

I answered, "Thank you. You Take care," and kept moving.

For all I know, my mother was right. They could be kind folks who meant no harm and intended no disrespect. The truth is I'll never know. 

2 comments:

  1. Truth. Being unable to distinguish between friendly banter and harassment is the painful side of being catcalled consistently, and too, being aware of what catcalls means - the privileges it invokes on who access public space in certain ways. But the interloper never has this neurotic worry.
    Its true, its frustrating, and sometimes it can be downright debilitating because it grinds down your psyche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always struggle with that same guilt. How am I supposed to react? I don't want to be the type of person who stops interacting with strangers altogether, or who simply ignores everyone who strikes up a conversation on the street. Because occasionally, it is a friendly encounter and I enjoy those. But it's gotten to the point where I cannot even interact with the homeless man on the street corner outside my work without him commenting on my hair or figure. Seems like the instant I show any kind of common respect for the man speaking to me by responding with a greeting, the transition occurs. It's almost not worth it to me for the chance of being in that situation of disrespect and dehumanization.

    One of the worst instances in my life happened in New Haven, where I was walking home and a group of men were sitting outside a restaurant I passed. When I approached, one of the men asked something to the effect of "How you doin?" and I walked past, always paralyzed by this question for the reason that it always feels like a power play to me. Just as you said, I feel men expect me to respond to this question and in doing so, validate their interest in me and reciprocate. Now of course, if I felt these men wanted to have a pleasant conversation it would be fine, but this almost inevitably means a catcall in my experience. So, I walked past without saying anything, despite their two or three tries.

    Their response though was what made me infuriated. "I'm just trying to talk to you, girl! Why do white girls have to be so cold?" Oh, Lord. This is the problem. I felt, "I so wish that I believed you were just trying to talk to me and that I could interact with you in a safe space where we could share the sidewalk without agendas. But don't you understand that by calling me girl, by asking me about my life without offering anything of yourself immediately indicates your presumed position of power over me and your desire to maintain that hierarchy?" Not to mention the deeply problematic invocation of race as a means to justify his actions, or the sting of being clumped into a group where I do not claim identity, the comment was absolutely both deeply saddening and enraging. And even without my response, it achieved the purpose of the entire interaction- it made me feel guilty for not respecting a man, and thus kept in order the patriarchy around.

    I do wonder though, is there a way to correct our responses (or non-responses) in these situations? A way to better them for peace and justice between people while still reclaiming the power that is ours? Because not responding clearly doesn't reach that goal.

    ReplyDelete